Friday, January 14, 2011

Frugal Friday: Baking Soda


Baking soda is very affordable and very useful in so many different ways. Of course, we all know about using baking soda in...well, baking. But did you know you can use it in place of shampoo? Or for facial exfoliating?
Here are some of the ways I use baking soda in our home.

1. Cleaning: Baking soda works very effectively as a cleaning agent. I use it to scrub pots and pans in the kitchen and to make my sink shine. In the bathroom, I use it to scrub the grime out of the bathtub. In the natural cleaning book, Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan, there are recipes for making scrubs using baking soda and essential oils and other things. I have made a batch or two but, then when it runs out I never take time to make more so just sprinkle on some plain baking soda. That just works best for me right now. I do enjoy the recipes though and it is fun to have a nicely scented baking soda scrub.

2. Facial scrub: Use a little baking soda and enough water to make a paste. Gentle rub on your face and rinse with warm water. Do this a couple of times a week to keep your skin looking fresh. I have done this for a while now and love the way my skin feels afterward.

3. Shampoo: This is one that I just tried for the first time last week. I was kind of skeptical, but thought I would give it a try. (You can read about it over at passionatehomemaking.com). It works amazingly well. Be warned it does not work at all like shampoo. No rich lather or anything. But it does clean your hair. I follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse that leaves my hair feeling soft and silky. The vinegar smell seems to go away after it dries.

4. Toothpaste: Wet your toothbrush and dip into a dish of baking soda. I also like to add a drop of tea tree oil. My mouth feels so fresh and clean after brushing with this method. I don't use this everyday because it seems like I read somewhere that you shouldn't use baking soda everyday on your teeth (???). I need to do some more reading to find out about that and if it's true.

5. Deodorant: Using a mixture of coconut oil, cornstarch and baking soda makes a cheap, effective deodorant.(Another thing that I read about at passionatehomemaking.com- One of my favorite blogs!)

Anyway, these are just a few ways you can use baking soda. If you have other ways that you use baking soda I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment