Friday, November 20, 2009

Frugal Friday

Well, here it is! Frugal Friday! Everyone likes to look their best, but unfortunately skin care products can cost lots and LOTS of money, and not everyone has lots and LOTS of money. So today I'd like to share with you a few things that I use that are easy and frugal.

1. Castile soap: For cleansing I've gone to using castile soap. I usually add a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils to it for scent and added benefits to my skin. It is a very gentle soap and very versatile. Not only can you use it on your face, but you can use it as a shampoo, body wash, baby wash, hand washing, cleaning your home, fruit/veggie wash and washing dishes! Plus it is biodegradable so it is good for the earth! I get mine at Trader Joe's where it is about $3.49 for a 16 oz. bottle. Dr. Bronner's also makes a good castile soap that you can find at Whole Foods or other natural food markets.

2. Baking Soda: For exfoliating I use baking soda. It is very cheap, and can also be used for so many other things as well. I usually buy a big bag of it at Costco so I always have it on hand. The baking soda can be kind of difficult to rinse off so it is best to use it in the shower. All you do is just mix a little water with the baking soda to make a paste, rub it around gently on your face and neck, avoiding the eyes, and rinse.

3. Witch Hazel: After cleansing I use a little bit of witch hazel as toner. Witch hazel is an astingent and helps tighten and close pores. You can get a bottle for around $1 at Target or Wal-Mart. And if you'd like, you can add some drops of lavender or tea tree essential oil to it.

4. Olive Oil: Lastly, I use olive oil as a moisturizer before bed. I have a small bottle that I keep in the bathroom so that I'm not using from the same bottle that I use for cooking. You smell kind of like a salad, but it makes your skin feel wonderful!! I just recently started using it because I ran out of other moisturizer and I've already been noticing a difference in my skin. It is much softer and I don't have as much problem with dry flaking skin.

So. there you have it, my basic, frugal skin care routine.

What do you do to save money on your skin care?

No comments:

Post a Comment