Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Garden Time!!!

Oh, my! I have had so much to write about lately, but just haven't actually had the time to do it. Not even sure where to start back in a this point. So I guess I'll just jump in with the garden update so I can start keeping track of how the garden grows.
About 3 weeks ago I got my hubby to help me make a greenhouse over one of our raised beds so I could start planting some crops. I definitely had spring fever!! We got a couple of PVC pipes and some plastic, bent the pipes over the garden bed, covered them with the plastic and VOILA!! Instant greenhouse! A few days later I was able to have some time to go out and plant on a nice sunny day. Of course, Hannah was my super, good helper. I made the holes for the seeds and she dropped them in and together we covered them up. I made a diagram in a notebook to record which squares had what growing in them. (We use the Square-Foot Gardening Method)We have about 4 different types of lettuces, two types of spinach, kale, swiss chard, bush peas, carrots and chives. It felt so good to get something started!!
Speaking of getting started...my seedlings that I have inside are doing quite well, and had their first visit to the outdoor world today. Soon it will be time to transplant them into the garden. Yippee! Also, the seeds that I started outside this winter are doing well. I just learned about this method, called winter sown, and wasn't sure if it would work or not, but I am so impressed with how the seeds did that I can't wait to try it again next year!
As of today, all of our seeds in the greenhouse garden have sprouted and are growing nicely. One square of spinach is almost ready to begin harvesting. They did have a head start though...the winter sown way! It won't be too long and we'll be having lettuce to go with that spinach!
Anyway, I guess I'll leave it at that for now, and try posting a few pictures. And maybe, just maybe, I'll do a better job of keeping you updated on things.

Greenhouse all planted and ready to grow! (March 23)


Winter Sown seeds outside. So fun and easy to do!


A little over a week later...seeds are sprouting! (April 1)


3 weeks later...spinach almost ready to eat! (April 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment