Monday, May 23, 2011

Garden update

Spinach, lettuce, chard, kale and peas growing by the house.

Trying to get back into blogging. I figured since I've been working in the yard quite a bit these past few days, a garden update would be a good place to start.
The weather has been rather uncooperative this year and we haven't been able to get too much growing yet, and what we do have planted the squirrels keep digging up. Gardening is always an interesting adventure!
Anyway, here's what we have for now. Have a blessed day!

Cherry tomatoes, chives, and a pretty little flower that I can't remember the name of since I didn't save the tag (not blooming yet)

Broccoli plants. I grew one last year and it did pretty well, so thought we'd try a few more this year since that is one of the few veggies that everyone at our house likes to eat. :)

The girls' teepee. We are trying to grow sweet pea flowers and eating peas to climb up around it. I also have a clematis that my mom-in-law got me for Mother's day that we planted out there. Around the bottom we are growing various herbs for medicinal and culinary uses.

Some of the herbs waiting to be planted...lemon verbena, cinnamon basil, lemon balm and roman chamomile.

Blueberry bush loaded with blossoms! Woo hoo! I was so happy to see this because I thought I had killed our blueberry bushes last year as they didn't get any blooms. Now just gotta keep the critters from stealing our food.

Rhubarb that our lovely neighbor gave us last year. Thought I had killed this too, but lo and behold, it is alive!

Raspberry patch. Our two canes we planted a couple years ago are thriving. And we added 3 more this year. Mmmm!

Okay, so this isn't a plant, but it is part of our garden. Hubby surprised me and put in this super cool rain barrel while I was visiting my mom in Minnesota. It fills up so fast...we should have rain barrels all over the yard!

Just a view of the yard from the back door. My lilac bushes are blooming so nicely. Wish they could last all summer long.

Did I mention how wonderful my hubby is? He fixed my clothesline for me so I could use it again. Now if only it would stop raining....


Well, there you have it. A little tour of our humble garden. I'm looking forward to seeing what we harvest this year!

"Praise the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all His benefits-"
Psalm 103:2

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm excited to find another Oregonian:) Your back yard looks amazing.. And I love your little teepee, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden update photos! The girls' teepee area looks like such a fun spot for lots of creative play. Say "hi" to them both from me and the guys ;)

    ReplyDelete