Friday, February 26, 2010

Frugal Friday: In the kitchen


To save money in the kitchen I like to reuse plastic ziploc bags whenever possible. I have to admit I have not always done this. My mom used to do this all the time when I was growing up and I used to hate it! My brother and I had to wash and dry the dishes after dinner and that's usually when there were plastic bags to be rinsed. I know, it seems silly to think that is such a hard task, but I didn't like doing it. So I said to myself I would not do that when I grew up and had my own family. And guess what? I didn't! I happily threw barely used plastic ziplocs in the garbage!
Then I started realizing I was having to buy ziploc bags a little more often than I thought should be necessary. So, you guessed it, I started saving them and reusing them. Granted not all of them can be washed out and reused, but the majority of the time all they need is a little rinse and they are good to go again. It's really not that bad.
Now, the only problem I was still having was what to do with them while they dried. But then I came across a really cool idea in a magazine! Using an old toothbrush holder and some chopsticks. Again, more reusing...good for your wallet AND the environment! :)
I didn't have an old toothbrush holder laying around, so I just picked one up for 99 cents at the thrift store. Then I threw in some chopsticks and voila! Ziploc bag dryer!
The chopsticks are kinda short so someday I might find some old dowels or something a bit longer. And I suppose you could put a little lump of clay in the bottom to secure the sticks if you wanted.

Thanks, Mom for the wonderful example of being a good steward with what we have! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment